- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke-crafting skills with a focus on writing content
- Six three-hour-long classes at Helium Comedy Club, Sundays from 10AM to 1PM or Mondays from 6:30PM to 9:30PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium at 8PM on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
About the Instructor:
Chip Chantry is a television writer and stand-up comedian. He has written for the first season of NBCUniversal's comedy/talk series Crazy Talk and the syndicated series Whacked Out Sports. He won 2013's Philly's Phunniest Person Contest at Helium Comedy Club, where he performs regularly. Chip also took home the "Funniest Comedian" award at Philadelphia's annual Comedy Awards in both 2012 and 2014.
Chip has opened for national headliners such as Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, Bob Saget, and Todd Glass. He released his first live comedy album, ACROSS FROM THE ADONIS, in 2012.
He was also a humor writer for PhillyMag.com, and has contributed to and performed in numerous live and video sketches, including "Deck the Hall and Oates," which VH1.com called "one of the best parodies of the year" in 2011. He also wrote and produced the monthly late-night-style talk show GOOD EVENING w/ CHIP CHANTRY at Helium Comedy Club, and the monthly comedy variety program CHIP CHANTRY'S ONE-MAN SHOW (w/ special guests!) at the Philly Improv Theater.