Stand-Up Comedy 101
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke-crafting skills with a focus on writing content
Comedy Classes Include:
- Six three-hour-long comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Sundays from 10AM to 1PM or Mondays from 6:30PM to 9:30PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium at 8PM on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
Upcoming Class Dates
August Session (Monday Classes)
- Class Dates: 8/19, 8/26, 9/9, 9/16, 9/23, 9/30
- Grad Show 10/13 @ 7:00pm
- No class session on 9/2
September Session (Sunday Classes)
- Class Dates: 9/15, 9/22, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27
- Grad Show 10/27 @ 7:00pm (Sunday)
- No class session on 9/29
Is this class for beginners?
- Yes. Our Stand-Up 101 and 160 classes are both entry-level courses. All 200 level courses and higher require completion of an entry-level course or permission from the instructor to attend.
What's the difference between Stand-Up 101 and 160?
- Our 101 class is more of a structured, classroom-style course which builds your comedy skills from the ground up, starting with a solid foundation of basic comedy knowledge. Stand-Up 160 is a much more fluid class, using improv techniques to help you think through your jokes on-the-spot. The 160 class is ideal for people interested in learning improv, those open to learning stand-up in a more freeform way, and improv'ers looking to learn stand-up. Both classes, however, are for beginners, although we encourage extremely new students to start with our 101 before taking the 160.
My child is 13 years old, can I sign them up for a class?
- Unfortunately, no. All Helium Comedy Academy classes are 18+.
How much progress can I expect to gain from this class?
- As with any class or lesson, you get out what you put in. Those who participate, do the homework assignments, and put real effort in their work will see significant advancement in their skill level over someone who was merely present in class.
What is the benefit of taking this class versus performing on open mics?
- Time saved. In 6 weeks we will teach you the skills needed to become an Open Mic regular and then some. Skills that take people quite awhile to learn on their own.
Do I need to have any material ready before the class?
- There's no preparation required to start of any of our entry-level classes. Obviously, there's also no harm in bringing some material, ideas, or jokes you've been working on to the first day of class but that's totally optional!