Sketch Comedy 101 Presented by Helium Comedy Academy and Philly Sketchfest
Sketch Class Syllabus:
- Develop original sketches for stage and/or film production
- Mold topics into creative script concepts using the guidelines of appropriate sketch framework
- Translate your ideas into funny, engaging scenes and dialogue through proper joke structure and editing techniques
Sketch Comedy Classes Include:
- Six two-and-a-half-hour-long sketch comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Wednesdays from 7:30-10PM
- Two three-and-a-half-hour-long sketch comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Saturdays from 12-3:30PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which your sketches will be table-read by local actors and comedians OR performed by you and your classmates for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
Upcoming Class Dates:
- Class Dates: 11/24, 11/28, 12/5, 12/12, 12/15, 12/19, 12/22, 12/29 - Grad Show 01/02 (Wedesday) @8PM
About the Instructor:
Curt Riedy is a comedy writer, performer and filmmaker. He graduated from Kutztown University in Pennsylvania with a Bachelor’s Degree in Professional Writing, and went on to study film at the Maine Media Workshops and sketch comedy writing at The People’s Improv Theater (The PIT) in New York City.
A long-standing member of the sketch-comedy troupe High Dramma, Curt has performed in comedy festivals across Boston, Baltimore, Montreal and New York City. He's also one of the co-producers of Philly Sketchfest, the city’s long-running sketch comedy festival. In 2015, Curt mentored 2 teams for the Philly Improv Theater’s Iron Sketch Competition, and even took home first prize in the very prestigious Dirtiest Sketch in Philadelphia Competition in 2012.
He also wrote and directed the half-hour comedy pilot “Come on Down,” and has produced, directed and edited videos for several Philadelphia sketch troupes, including The Incredible Shrinking Matt & Jacquie, Kathryn & Sarah, and Patric Writes Sketches. Recently, he's produced and edited a variety of comedic online spots for brands such as Land O'Lakes, Toys 'R' Us, Campbell's and the NFL.
As an actor/comedian, he's appeared on television shows such as “The Rotten Tomatoes Show,” “Chain Reaction,” “Flight of the Conchords,” and “Conan” (in a high-profile role playing a thumb-version of Andy Richter).
Curt teaches introductory sketch comedy classes at Helium Comedy Club.